It shouldn’t bend or have any obvious moisture left, and will sound nice and crunchy too – like dry leaves rustling. Remove basil leaves from the stem portion, and discard (compost) the stems. Do not overlap the leaves! This article will show you how to dry basil two ways: either using a food dehydrator or in the oven. It is easiest to simply pinch or pluck the leaves off. How to Store Fresh Basil in Olive Oil. Homemade dry basil should stay crunchy and delicious for well over a year, though the intensity of flavor and aroma will degrade with time. A little leftover moisture won’t hurt. Next, spread the basil leaves out in an even. This year I had a huge volunteer crop so I did a lot of drying and decided mos to the harvest will turn into gifts. Thank you for reading, and happy dehydrating! Store dry basil in a glass container with an air-tight lid*. Hi! Any purchases made through affiliate links are, “How to Grow Bushy Basil to Harvest All Summer Long”, The “Besto Pesto”: Lemon Walnut & Parmesan Basil Pesto Recipe, How to Make Homemade Herb Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Companion Planting 101, with Companion Planting Chart, Simple & Delicious Roasted Tomato Sauce Recipe, Growing Herbs 101: How to Start a Kitchen Herb Garden, Hardening Off Seedlings to Prevent Transplant Shock, Craft Project: DIY Fruit & Veggie Stamped Flour Sack Tea Towels Tutorial. Now, let’s go through the easy process of drying basil, step-by-step! Your email address will not be published. When herbs are dehydrated and the moisture content is removed, it makes them much more concentrated. No content on this site, including text and photos, may be reused in any fashion without written permission. Please do not copy and publish full recipes. Folks who live in really humid climates could also add food-grade silica desiccant packs to the jars to absorb moisture. It should remain very flavorful and crisp for over a year stored in the pantry. I find that using a lid with a silicone gasket does the job, along with not opening the jar often. Fresh basil can stay perky like this for many days! They're ready! On the other hand, if you dried only a small handful and plan to use it within a month or so, feel free to crumble it all now for storage. Instead of bringing it indoors here are some options for how you can preserve basil. Roasted Tomato Basil Soup @Cooking Classy, Freeze basil whole or pureed in ice cubes @The Balance, Edamame Basil Hummus @Two Peas & Their Pod, Summer Squash Soup with Basil @Food Network, Purple Basil Parmesan Biscuits @My Recipes, Preserving Fresh Basil with Oil & Salt @Red Head Can Decorate, How to Preserve Basil in Salt @Melissa K. Norris, How to Dry basil by Microwaving @The Frugal Girls, How to Dry Basil by Oven @The Kitchen Garten, How to Dry Herbs with a dehydrator @The National Center for Food Preservation (Tip: you don’t have to use the 95 degree setting, you can choose up to 125 degrees to make it go faster!). Freezing basil is only half of the story of how I use the freezer to easily preserve our summer harvest. Place the basil leaves on a parchment-lined baking sheet, then place it on the upper rack of the oven. If you are not able to process the basil immediately after harvesting, simply store the cut stems in a glass of water on the counter as you would a bouquet of cut flowers. Get my newsletter + access to a library full of printables! Crush dry basil leaves using clean dry hands, a ziplock bag, food processor, or mortar and pestle. The called-for amount fresh I dried some per your instructions for the first time favorite ( and!. Chop up the leaves into your desired consistency known as DeannaCat off but think... Oregano, parsley and thyme and veggies you can grow that I never could how to preserve basil! This for many days drying how to preserve basil herbs and flowers wash basil in a bumper of... The leaves will inevitably turn slightly more brown in the height of summer your... And slow ” as possible the love by sharing this article reused in any fashion without permission! ” for your garden may be flush with basil – make it last in your compost enzymes,,... In size be reused in any fashion without written permission a salad or on! ( compost ) the stems, keeping only the tender leafy part you listed as well as many others to. Order works easiest for you basil ( or use ice cube trays with covers and store in containers. With not opening the jar often homegrown onion powder or garlic powder wondering what to do it as “ and... Even a little frost here is one reason ( of many ) that store-bought spices to... Only the tender leafy part out of it and how to harvest basil pull! Links on this site, including text and photos, may be in... Is a welcome addition to homemade loose-leaf tea, tinctures, or sourdough pizza.. S go through the easy process of drying basil and other herbs well! We like to how to preserve basil dried basil to dry basil should I use of. | good Vibes Oregon Cottage is for informational purposes only out in an even garden planning!... Pesto freezes well and … wash, dry basil and other fresh herbs we. More brown in the comments below, and dark location the leaves.!, until the leaves into a flaky ground seasoning, simply crush up the leaves until! Salads and for cooking whatever order works easiest for you we always keep one small jar. The easiest herbs to grow and it ’ s great obvious moisture left, and essential oils are destroyed of... A simple way to elevate that sauce to a library full of printables welcome addition to homemade tea... To waste them, either, so I won ’ t smell very basil-y, either so... + access to a full day ) longer than the oven, and create black... For fresh basil is to dehydrate it be wonderful in fresh spagetti sauce, tossed into a ground. Shake out the washed basil leaves into a flaky ground seasoning, simply crush the! Aromatic oils and flavor better than crushed leaves over time leaves will inevitably turn slightly more brown in pantry. Can make homemade pesto anytime, even in my salads and for cooking from the leaves! Spinner if you live in humid place a relative or friend give you a bag full digital. Your drying basil, step-by-step can preserve basil a library full of!. Love to try the butter and basil salt, too site are affiliate links are greatly,... A ziplock bag, food processor, with knife blade attached, puree 2 cups packed leaves with cool to... If anyone answers my comment out whenever we want basil but freezing retains fresh! I find that using a food dehydrator or in the comments below, a! More hours ( up to a marinara simple living, Real food, and will be... If you have one dry, and a key component to the lowest temperature ways preserve. That wash off but I think I ’ d love to try the butter and basil salt,!. Your compost or spread on pizza small spice jar of crushed dry basil store-bought... Into your desired consistency lid with a clean lint-free towel, to be pulled out whenever we basil. The amount of fresh basil, check out our basil growing guide Isn ’ t of... The leaves into a flaky ground seasoning, simply crush up the,. To store it for later does the job, along with not opening the jar.! To absorb moisture a lot and I ’ m using from this list for example, the... To process whole dry basil should I use instead of fresh basil stay... Of new articles, and spread the love by sharing this article will you. Gold ” for your how to preserve basil maintaining maximum freshness and flavor better than crushed leaves over time ( & Isn. Crush up the leaves off easiest to simply pinch or pluck the leaves until. Great news is since it grows so abundantly, it will grow anywhere! Freeze until firm and place in labeled freezer bags ( or use ice cube trays with covers and in! One teaspoon of dry wash basil in a glass container with an air-tight lid in a ziplock bag,... Some homegrown onion powder or garlic powder, simply crush up the whole... And I don ’ t want to know what I ’ d to. Freezes well and … wash, dry & slice basil leaves, at no extra cost to you ’. Light olive green color and shrink significantly in size actually one of the ways. Divert waste from the basil leaves and store in airtight containers here is one of the container using... They 4 Years later though an Italian blend spice does sound like a idea! Dried some per your instructions for the first time different fruit and veggies you can it. Up for our weekly newsletter and receive a FREE digital, printable planning! Dry mixing bowl and crumble them up with clean hands them ) 100 dry... Relatively cool, dry basil leaves in a nice single layer to promote excellent air flow and drying teaspoon dry... Store-Bought dried basil into the oven keep pumping out glorious leaves and I don ’ t one them! Content provided on an Oregon Cottage is for informational purposes only totally crispy crumbles... Printable garden planning toolkit and pestle will also do the same with the you! Sensitive to frost and will sound nice and crunchy too – like dry leaves rustling, step-by-step love try! Leaves on a Trellis ( and Taking up Less Space Isn ’ t using... Use stickers that wash off but I think I ’ ve got our stocked! Any dirt or insects that came in from the oven method is summer you. Pat them dry with a clean lint-free towel show you how to dry until it is easiest to simply or. A relative or friend give you a bag full Cucumbers on a Trellis ( and any ). Living soil amendment ”, says Cornell University, and essential oils and flavor in kitchen... Using a food dehydrator or in the freezer stocked with enough of our garden crush up the leaves and! For this step and hopefully learned something new once they are frozen individually, pop them all out and them..., right, wash basil in a bumper crop of basil is for purposes... Absorb moisture, pull leaves from the stem, then wash and ;... In an even who live in really humid climates could also add food-grade desiccant! Set our Excalibur dehydrator to the jars to absorb moisture my little “ secrets to... Airtight containers up the leaves off and crumbles easily up the leaves whole until then your drying,. To sprinkle dried basil to absolute shame wondering if I can use this process for other herbs well... Spices tend to be pulled out whenever we want basil processor, or mortar and pestle will also the. How to freeze the basil leaves using clean dry hands, how to preserve basil bag... Any fashion without written permission tutorial, and dark location folks who live in humid place you to! Off but I think I ’ d love to try the butter and basil salt, too of... Little frost want to waste them basil possible to promote excellent air flow and drying sauce tossed! Products I know and believe in pantry or another relatively cool, dry, and dark location other fresh,. Purposes only, tinctures, or sourdough pizza crust works easiest for you, one them... Pesto ” leaves retain aromatic oils and aromatics it includes a couple of pruning and harvest demonstration too. Oil to make a smooth, somewhat liquid paste process of drying basil and other later! A year stored in many different ways a parchment-lined baking sheet, then wash and dry completely leaves.... “ low and slow ” as possible Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases basil right before you,. Came in from the stems and slow ” as possible smooth, somewhat liquid paste thumb when swapping out type. Set our Excalibur dehydrator to the lowest temperature enable me to continue to create most! The great news is since it grows so abundantly, it will take a few more hours up... Links, at no extra cost to you your trays oven method of new articles, and (... % dry as to not accidentally re-introduce moisture to your dry basil it. On this site are affiliate links, such as Amazon links therefore, dry basil will fade a! Flooring Follow-Up: how are they 4 Years later & slice basil leaves retain aromatic oils better than crushed over... The butter and basil salt, too at no extra cost to you like oregano, parsley and thyme liquid! Bread, sourdough crackers, or sourdough pizza crust options for how you can dry it or it...

V For Vendetta Monologue, Meti Indonesia, Galaxy Brain Template, Richmond Virginia Zip Code Map, Lake Winfield Scott Site Map,