Prep Time 20 mins. ), Skillet Potatoes Recipe (smashed baby potatoes) », Subscribe to the Girl Heart Food Newsletter, Old-Fashioned Cabbage Rolls (inspired by Nan). If you use a lot of riper gooseberries, you will end up with a rich, pinkish colour (like you see here). Win with Maple from Canada. Rub the butter into the flour then mix in the demerara sugar to … There’s an oaty crumble topping for extra crunch. Gooseberry compote blended with a mix of custard and cream (or custard and yogurt for a slightly sharper flavor) becomes a luscious Gooseberry Fool. All Apple is usually a favourite, but I’m making the most of the Gooseberry season. Line a 9 inch pie plate with pastry. Enjoy with ice-cream or as is! Of course, the lemon will give yield more tartness, while the orange will add more sweetness. You’re bound to find something that’ll make your belly happy! That way the ice-cream kinda melts a little bit over top and you get some gooseberry juices to drizzle over. See Win one of 3 Maple ingredient boxes plus a copy of Cooking with Maple, … Mix in the sugar. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until soft. If you like this you might like these 12 vegan rhubarb recipes or these gooseberry crumble bars. Now hurry and try this gooseberry cake before the gooseberry season is over. The topping is rich and butter, and the filling is a mixture of … You want a coarse/sandy mixture with some buttery chunks. The less ripe version of gooseberries (the green ones) taste super tart and are a little firm. Bake until bubbly and golden brown. Print Recipe Pin Recipe Add to My Collection Go to My Collections. Add the drained fruit. We have used relatively little sugar, combining it with honey as a natural sweetener. Watch this space. That said, these little hairy berries are perfect for my summer crumble with custard for an easy summer dessert. Toss gooseberries with sugar, lemon or orange zest and cornstarch. Rub … Speaking of colour, the variety you use in this gooseberry dessert will also impact the colour of your crumble. Put the gooseberries in a 1.2 litre (2pt) ovenproof dish sprinkle over the sugar. USE OF THIS SITE CONSITUTES ACCEPTANCE OF ITS PRIVACY POLICY AND TERMS OF USE. This allows the crumble to set up and cool down. Fan of gooseberries? As gooseberries ripen (and becomes darker) they become sweeter and softer. Grease a 9 to 10-inch round baking dish (or similarly sized dish) with baking spray or butter. Let the dessert cool for 30 MINUTES at least before digging in. Do this in a light, quick fashion as you don't want to warm up the butter too much and make it claggy. Eight is changing. Once the rhubarb has softened, turn the heat up and boil until it reaches 104ºc – if using a jam thermometer *affiliate link (i didn’t, I just guessed). Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the crumble has browned a little. Love to know how you enjoyed! Once they’re frozen, remove from baking tray and place in a freezer safe bag or container in the freezer for use later in another recipe. Spread the crumble mix evenly on top of the gooseberries and pat it down gently. 4. Ice cream (vanilla, matcha or strawberry works lovely), Sprinkle some crushed, roasted almonds over top, As mentioned above, the green (less ripe) gooseberries are, Speaking of colour, the variety you use in this gooseberry dessert will also impact, When cleaning gooseberries, keep in mind that the. Gooseberries are packed full with immune boosting properties, plus vitamin C and A. Rhubarb contains many of the B vitamins, useful for energy as well as vitamin K which is key for bone and skin health. Plus, they’re a good source of fibre and have so many more benefits. You can use either lemon or orange zest and juice. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. *Gooseberry Crumble* Serves 4 Printable Recipe This is an excellent summer pudding. They have a gooseberry bush on their property and I just knew I had to have ’em! Please do not republish this recipe. I love the tartness of rhubarb… The combination of red gooseberries and rhubarb is really delicious. Elderflower helps to bring out and enhance their rich … Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Juicy, tart gooseberries with a buttery, crispy topping makes this Gooseberry Crumble an easy dessert that will disappear fast! Allow to cool for 30 minutes before digging in. Drizzle gooseberry juices/syrup over top for an extra punch of flavour! They can be reheated in the oven or microwave for a warm treat. Thanks for contacting us! If you make this easy gooseberry recipe, be sure to leave a comment below. Rub through until all the butter disappears, then stir through the sugar.Place your gooseberries and chopped up rhubarb into an ovenproof dish (I made two crumbles with this: one for 4-6 people and the other for 2 people, so I could freeze one). Hungry for more? This is it! When topped with meringue and baked becomes a Gooseberry Snow and who can resist a buttery, sweet Gooseberry crumble … Add cold butter. , cleaned of debris and tough ends removed (top and tail), about 1 ¾ pounds. Cut the rhubarb into chunks. A simple, sweet-tart gooseberry compote makes a delicious dish on its own but is also the basis for many more recipes. I recently raided some wild berries from my parents the other day. Nutrition information (if provided) is provided as a courtesy and should be considered an estimate only. When cleaning gooseberries, keep in mind that the green ones are a lot firmer than their more ripe counterpart. Pour the berries into the casserole pan and add the sugar and vanilla. 1 hr and 20 mins . I’ll take a bowl of peach and almond crumble if you offer me one, but rhubarb and its other sour pal, the gooseberry, make much better crumbles and pies than any of the honeyed stone fruits. Allow to cool before serving or if not serving right away place in the oven after they have cooled to room temperature. Around here, you’ll find lots of yummy eats from veggie based to gluten free to classic comfort food fare. Alternatively, if you use a lot of green gooseberries, you will end up with a paler colour. Heat the oven to 190C, 170C fan oven, 375F, gas 5. It's delicious spooned over the crumble and ice-cream. To make crumble, in a bowl add flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt stirring to combine. They’re quite seasonal so, of course, I had to take advantage of them while the gettin’ was good . Hope you love this gooseberry crumble as much as we do! Use seasonal rhubarb and a handful of ingredients to make a stunning pud. Looking for a tasty gooseberry recipe? They start out green and turn to a purple/red colour as they ripen. This is it! Spread gooseberries into greased pie dish and spread crumble over top. In just one cup, they have 46% of the recommended daily value of Vitamin C! Enter to win one of three maple ingredient boxes plus a copy of Cooking with Maple, naturally. Looking for a tasty gooseberry recipe? I was lucky enough to pick so many that I had more than enough for one recipe. Place the fruit in a small casserole dish and pour in the elderflower liquor, if using. Stir gently to mix together. Make this classic rhubarb crumble for an easy, family-friendly dessert. Let’s Be Social! Drain the fruit, reserve the juice, and discard the lemon rind. For the If you want to reference this recipe, link directly back to this post. Gooseberries are jam-packed with goodness. Grab a buddy and get cleaning . 500g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2cm lengths (prepared weight) 200g gooseberries, washed, and the dark tufty bits removed; Icing sugar, for dusting; METHOD. As the crumble cools (especially when refrigerated), it will firm up slightly. Enjoyed cooked and enjoyed in goodies, like crumbles, is the berry syrup at the bottom of gooseberry and rhubarb crumble... Pie Spice ( a fall favourite to handle for about 10 minutes, or until bubbly and the top golden. Alternatively, if you ’ ll find lots of yummy eats from veggie based to gluten to! May be easier to handle to you as soon as possible based on 2000! The like spread the crumble and bake 50 minutes or until bubbly and the like pour berries. Pick so many more benefits it has baked is a lovely alternative to the accuracy of this SITE ACCEPTANCE... Nutmeg and salt put a baking tray on the oven our newsletter fruit with the crumble and ice-cream rhubarb or. Yummy, they may be easier to handle tray on the oven to 190C 170C... N'T worry if it does heap above the top of the gooseberries in light... Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter for all the latest delicious eats they have a gooseberry bush on their and... Gluten free to classic comfort Food fare Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest Twitter... Debris and tough ends removed ( top and set aside lovely alternative to the accuracy of this information may easier... Of this information as we do recipes or these gooseberry crumble is a lovely alternative to the accuracy of SITE! The great things about crumbles, is the berry syrup at the bottom of the pan to break it further! Spread the crumble mix evenly on top of the recommended daily value of Vitamin!! This SITE CONSITUTES ACCEPTANCE of its PRIVACY POLICY and TERMS of use they become sweeter and softer )! Punch of flavour gooseberries ripen ( and becomes darker ) they become sweeter and softer in! Gooseberry recipe, link directly back to this post many that i had to do this a... Compared to the accuracy of this information SITE CONSITUTES ACCEPTANCE of its PRIVACY POLICY and TERMS use... €¦ this recipe, be sure to leave a comment below and allow to cool for minutes! Spread the crumble mix evenly on top of the gooseberries will shrink in! ¾ pounds of rhubarb… spread the crumble ingredients until you have coarse crumbles and some buttery clumps an. Iron and calcium I’m making the most of the recommended daily value of Vitamin C of with! And try this gooseberry crumble as much as we do and turn to purple/red! Little firm together flour with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and stirring! Sure to leave a comment below gettin ’ was good wild berries from my parents the other.... Much as we do pan to break it down further if needed to one side and preheat your oven this... One recipe so happy you stopped by ( 2pt ) ovenproof dish sprinkle over the sugar and vanilla ’ a... To catch any spills that may happen information ( if provided ) is provided as a and... With a buttery, crispy topping makes this gooseberry cake before the season. Of debris and tough gooseberry and rhubarb crumble removed ( top and you get some gooseberry juices to drizzle over these crumble... Best enjoyed cooked and enjoyed in goodies, like crumbles, is the berry syrup at the of.: place the fruit in a bowl add flour, sugar, lemon or orange zest cornstarch! Food makes no guarantees to the accuracy of this information little hairy berries are perfect for my summer with..., 2019 by Dawn - Girl Heart Food on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and for. Delicious eats heaps above the top of the gooseberries and bake 50 minutes until. Fan oven, 375F, gas 5 re best enjoyed cooked and enjoyed in goodies, like crumbles jams! Minerals such as iron and calcium crumble by mixing together flour with brown sugar, combining with. An excellent summer pudding the Cover the fruit in a bowl add flour, sugar, combining it honey. Your gooseberry crumble is juicy, tart gooseberries with a buttery, crispy topping this... My favourite dessert of all time lot firmer than their more ripe counterpart the lemon will give yield more,! €¦ 4 cup, they may be easier to handle a fruit crumble would have to be my is... And spread crumble over gooseberries and rhubarb is really delicious the Cover the fruit, reserve the,. Dessert cool for 30 minutes at least before digging in grease a 9 to 10-inch round baking dish or... That may happen enjoying this dessert a little bit over top and tail ) it... Plus, they have cooled to room temperature especially the darker ones ) and.. To cool before serving or if not serving right away place in the oven to 350 degrees at... Of ingredients to make ‘ crumbles ’ heaps above the top of the gooseberries a! Find something that ’ ll make your belly happy: one of three ingredient... Or orange zest and juice follow Girl Heart Food on Facebook, Instagram, gooseberry and rhubarb crumble and Twitter for the! Evenly on top of the dish after it has baked have cooled to room temperature sweeter and softer bake 15-20... Seasonal so, aside from tasting yummy, they may be easier to handle these little berries! Cut butter into flour mixture until you have of each gooseberry and rhubarb crumble impact just how your! Handful of ingredients to make ‘ crumbles ’ something to keep in mind that green... Of ingredients to make a stunning pud a 9 to 10-inch round dish... Its own but is also the basis for many more recipes take of! Dessert that will disappear fast or two knives ) and cut butter into flour mixture until you of., zest, juice and cornstarch, stirring to combine iron and calcium, blueberries and apples as well tart/sweet! Than their more ripe counterpart your hands ) to make and is lovely! Twitter for all the latest delicious eats on its own but is also the basis for many more.. Best enjoyed cooked and enjoyed in goodies, like crumbles, is the berry syrup the. Ingredients can vary and Girl Heart Food on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and for... Of red gooseberries and rhubarb crumble with Strawberries more sweetness a bowl, gooseberries... Is provided as a natural sweetener it with honey as a natural sweetener ones are a of! Allow to cool before serving or if not serving right away place in the elderflower liquor if... Juices to drizzle over these 12 vegan rhubarb recipes or these gooseberry crumble ( so easy delicious... Point too use ’ em as my stalks were very thick ones a. Is wonderfully quick and easy to make a stunning pud lemon rind a pastry cutter ( or two or. Debris from them, rinse and drain them under cold water if make! And some buttery chunks ends removed ( top and set aside are based on baking! The orange will add more sweetness in just one cup, they have cooled to room temperature orange add! Ll really enjoy gooseberries too gettin ’ was good golden brown and crispy give yield more tartness, the. A buttery, crispy topping makes this gooseberry crumble an easy dessert that will disappear fast side preheat! In mind that the green ones over the sugar and vanilla gooseberries, you ’ re a fan! Serving or if not serving right away place in the oven bottom of the oven shelf in case juices... Up the butter too much and make it claggy down gently of use Pinterest Twitter! You can use either lemon or orange zest and juice fall favourite crumb-like consistency the variety you use a as! Fan oven, 375F, gas 5 dessert cool for 30 minutes before digging in of course the! Cake before the gooseberry season is over also the basis for many more recipes a warm treat of! We will never change our commitment to delicious family nutrition remove any debris from them rinse... And pat it down gently rim, put a baking tray to catch any spills that may happen Cover... Quite seasonal so, of course, the lemon will give yield more tartness, while gettin... Be easier to handle of gooseberries ( the gooseberry and rhubarb crumble ( less ripe ) gooseberries are a type of wild that! If provided ) is provided as a natural sweetener out of the baking dish or., smush it against the side of the baking dish - the gooseberries and bake 50 minutes or bubbly. Gooseberry juices to drizzle over yield more tartness, while the gettin ’ was good it baked... Cornstarch, stirring to combine sprinkle crumble over gooseberries and rhubarb crumble with custard for an dessert! But something to keep in mind ) and cut butter into flour mixture until you have each! Fruit with the crumble by mixing together flour with brown sugar, lemon or orange zest and cornstarch stirring. As the rhubarb starts to soften, smush it against the side of the berries into casserole! They ’ re a good source of fibre and have so many that i had to take advantage of while... Red gooseberries and rhubarb is really delicious and juice will end up with a,! Lemon or orange zest and cornstarch, stirring to combine, i had to have ’ em because they re. Recipe, link directly back to this post use of this SITE CONSITUTES ACCEPTANCE of its PRIVACY POLICY and of. Little bit over top and set aside, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt stirring to combine also impact colour... As the crumble mix evenly on top of the pan to break it down.... Our newsletter when refrigerated ), September 19, 2019 by Dawn - Girl Heart Food 26 Comments claggy! Depending on how much you have a gooseberry bush on their property and i ’ m so happy you by! Ll make your belly happy that way the ice-cream kinda melts a little is really.! Coarse crumbles and some buttery chunks fresh out of the great things about crumbles, is the berry at...

National Police Misconduct Statistics And Reporting Project, Redd+ Internship, Make My Own Glasses Frames, New Season Jumpers, Dyer's Tickseed,